If you’re thinking of adopting or fostering a dog during the coronavirus pandemic, this guide is for you. To ensure that you’ll have everything you need to care for your new pup throughout the pandemic and well after it ends, FitBark has assembled the following tips and resources with information on preparing your home for your new arrival, finding a local veterinarian, and purchasing the right pet insurance insurance policy for you and your budget.
Preparing for the Arrival of Your New Companion
- Decide whether fostering, adopting, or buying from a breeder will be best for you and your household during the pandemic.
- Purchase all the supplies you’ll need to care for your new pup.
- Stay on top of your dog's health stats and ensure you always know their whereabouts with FitBark's GPS dog tracking and activity monitoring device.
- Both you and your dog should be getting plenty of exercise, so while you're monitoring their activity, be sure to download a fitness app for new workout ideas and to stay accountable.
- Accidents are inevitable at first, so gather cleaning supplies and learn how to clean your upholstery or look to professional services.
Planning for Veterinary Visits and Pandemic-Related Emergencies
- Find a veterinary professional for your new furry friend or talk to your animal shelter or breeder about local options.
- Create a COVID-19 emergency plan to ensure that your companion will be cared for in the event that you get sick.
- Decide whether a pet insurance policy will be right for your new pup.
- Learn how to protect your pet from coronavirus.
- Dogs love companionship, so if you have to spend time away for long stretches, or if you get sick, find a pet sitter to look after your animal companion.
These resources will help you to prepare for the arrival of your new pup and plan for any medical emergencies that could come your way during COVID-19. With a beloved new animal companion to keep you company throughout the pandemic, however, spending more time at home won’t seem so bad after all.