How to Take Care of Your Pet While You Are Infected with Covid-19
Taking care of your pet while you are infected with COVID can be very stressful. You have to make sure that you first don't panic and think about how you will take care of your pet if you get infected. We are still learning to cope up with the circumstances and how to make things easier for us.
To all the people who are still confused if your pets can carry the virus or not, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that pets in the United States including dogs and other animals cannot get infected and spread the disease. Even the WHO has not listed any evidence which can prove that dogs, cats and horses can get infected by a coronavirus. However, it is better to keep away from the other members of the family including your pets if you get infected by the virus as this virus is unpredictable and keeping everyone safe is what you want in the first place, right?
If you catch the virus, you should avoid kissing, snuggling, or petting your pet until the reports show negative. Practicing good hygiene and wearing a mask while you are infected with the disease is rule number one.
What to do if you need to take your pet to the vet?
- If you are healthy, then you should always make an appointment before and make all the necessary arrangements with your pet's doctor before you take him. You have to make sure that the place is well sanitized and you follow all the protocols which have been listed to protect the virus.
- If you are infected with the virus, then you should wait for a while until it's too urgent for you to take the pet to the vet. If you feel that your pet is falling sick or taking him to the vet is very important then, firstly you should call the vet and try to settle things at home. Only when the vet has to see your pet to treat him, either ask a health officer for help or ask another family member who is not affected by the virus to take the pet to the vet.
How to take care of your pet if you get infected?
- If you are the only one in the house then, you need to wear a mask and gloves every time you come in contact with your pet.
- You should know that you have to keep yourself away as much as possible to keep him safe even if he cannot get infected by the virus.
- Plan a few indoor games and exercises for your pet so that it can help him stay busy as his outdoor movement is going to be restricted for a few days. He should not feel it any different than the usual regular days at home.
- You can play "find the toy and treat" it with your pet! It is the best way to keep him active and also be in less contact with him.
- As your dog has restricted movement now, you have to make sure that you don't overfeed your dog or give him too many treats. It is also because you may have a limited supply until you feel better and can buy them!
- Having a proper schedule for the day can help you and your pet make the best of the time. It won't make them feel weird and you can easily carry on.
- You will have to make a separate space in the bathroom or terrace or balcony for your pet to take the waste out of his body! It is an important part and you have to figure out how well you handle it in all these days of home quarantine.
- If you need to rush to the hospital, and there is no one to take care of your pet, call someone and inform them first. If your pet also gets sick, then you need to contact the vet right away and ask for solutions to sort out the problem.
What else should be done in case of an emergency?
If you are not infected yet, take precautionary measures as much as possible, and always be ready for the future.
- You should prepare an emergency kit for your pet in which one month of food supply and medicines can be stored. Even if you catch the virus, you will have food supplies and all the necessary items for your pet in quarantine.
- Ask a friend or a family member beforehand if they can take care of your pet if you get infected in the future. This way, you will be relieved and won't panic at the last moment about how to take care of your pet. Also, make sure that they know the medical history of your pet and all the favorites he likes. It will help him take good care of your pet when you can't!
- In case your pet needs to be shifted for some time, prepare a crate for his safety.
In situations and circumstances like these, staying calm is the first thing you have to do. Keeping yourself in control will help you manage things better and think a lot clearer. So, it is okay if you have been infected and you cannot do anything about it. You have to think of the future now and how are you going to tackle the crisis by yourself!